Thursday, March 20, 2014

Brave

A month ago, I published a post about various songs that resonate with me.  I have another one to share...

Brave by Sara Bareilles
click here to listen to it and then we'll discuss...crank up the volume because this is a good one!! (this is a good link because you can read the lyrics too)

Are you done?  How about now?

Ok - so the obvious...it's a beautiful melody, I love her voice, etc, etc.
As far as the lyrics and message - I just love it.  I get the impression that maybe the original intention of the message was to be more geared toward standing up for yourself and being brave in a tough relationship.  I relate it more to my job and life in general.  I'm reading a "career" book right now by Kate White called I Shouldn't Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know.  I haven't finished it yet but one thing she discusses, specifically for women, is that we are afraid to voice what we want or voice our ideas because we want everyone to "like" us.  I just feel like this song really relates to that idea...Be Brave.  "You could be the outcast or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love...or you can start speaking up..."  Not everyone is going to like what you have to say but if you deliver your idea or thought professionally and respectfully, then be brave enough to do it!

I just recently downloaded the song to my iPhone and this morning I listened to this song on repeat for the entire hour I was at the gym.  It's just so motivating and we should be brave in anything we do.  The gym can be intimidating sometimes but we can be brave and attack it!  :)

"Show me how big your BRAVE is!"

I really love Sara Bareilles -- here are a few other songs of hers I enjoy:
I Choose You - I think of Mike every time I hear this song...it'd be a good wedding song.
King of Anything - Again, I think this one is geared more toward a troubled relationship but again the message is very universal.  Who cares if we disagree? No one should be telling you who you should be.



No comments: