Wednesday, October 15, 2014

missing my favorites

Usually around the time I've finalized my plans for a trip back to Nebraska, I start missing my Nebraska people A LOT!  I remember when we first moved away from Nebraska thinking to myself, "Well I'm going to miss my friends but I'm sure I'll find new friends to replace those relationships I'm leaving behind."  I hope you see all the issues with that thought process but that's truly what I thought.

Well, that actually doesn't happen and now I realize I don't want or need that to happen.  Let's take "family" first...well, I knew I would never replace my family but I definitely value and appreciate the time I have with my family.  I hate to brag but I have a pretty amazing family and I truly enjoy hanging out with them.  No really, I could go back to NE and only see my family and be content because they are my best friends!  We laugh, we cry, we argue but they are amazing.

Moving onto non-family friends - I have a few incredible one's in Nebraska that should not and will never be replaced.  When I moved away from Nebraska, I did eventually realize that there are some friendships could not be maintained due to proximity...and that's ok!  I slowly drifted away from those friends(or became more like acquaintances and that's also ok).  But I have a few friends that I tear up when I think about because I miss them so much.  Even being 13 hours away, they are always there for me.  We have so much fun when we're together!  I never feel judged by them and they accept everything about me...the good, the bad, & the ugly.  They make me feel like I'm a valuable friend and I hope I make them feel the same.

So - I'm over the thought process of "finding new friends to replace those relationships."  I have some lovely friends here in NM but, by design, those relationships really can't ever be the same as my NE faves. What I mean "by design" is that my local relationships don't have the history, haven't seen how I've changed and grown as a person, haven't experienced any of my milestone's as a teen/young adult...new friendships and relationships have to start from square one and build from there...so we're building and that's cool!

Ugh - but I sure do miss my Nebraska people!!  Can't wait to see you all soon.

No comments: