Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The warm weather in April really got me thinking again about running another half-marathon and I've decided to go for it.  The race is 9/16 here in Santa Fe ~ anyone want to join me?

Here is the schedule I'm using - this is sort of a combination of various training schedules I've used in the past.  Besides strength training (which I've really never done in the past while training and I now know is way more important than plain 'ole cardio, so I hope to be consistent with 2-3 days of strength each week), Thursday's are going to be a "mix it up" day so I don't get bored.

Throughout the training:
  • Wednesday's and Friday's are strength days - I'm going to do my best to achieve my strength days!!
  • Thursday's are HIIT/Cross/Downhill days - HIIT=High Intensity Interval Training which means I'll use the treadmill and do something like 30 second sprints/30 second rest for 30-45 minutes(which includes a 5 min warmup and 5 min cooldown).  If I don't do HIIT, cross-train, or downhills, I'll run 3-5 miles, depending on where I am in my schedule.  I've been doing some HIIT and am really enjoying it!
  • Sunday's are Rest/Strength/Yoga days - depending on what I accomplish during the week will determine what I do on Sunday's. 
I started a few weeks earlier this year and have incorporated some catch-up weeks.  When I travel, I usually don't follow my schedule very well, if at all, which is why I incorporated some extra weeks.  I also didn't have the best "base" of miles prior to starting so the first few weeks are pretty light.  If I jump into lengthy runs without a good base, I usually end up having IT band problems so I'm hoping to steer clear of those issues by adding a few extra weeks.  :)

Week of 6/4:
Mon - 3
Tues - 3
Sat - 4

6/11:
repeat week of 6/4

6/18:
repeat week of 6/4

6/25:
Mon - 3.5
Tues - 3.5
Sat - 5

7/2:
repeat previous week / catch-up

7/9:
repeat week of 6/25

7/16:
Mon - 4
Tues - 4
Sat - 6

7/23:
Mon - 4
Tues - 4
Sat - 7

7/30:
Mon - 5
Tues - 4-4.5
Sat - 8

8/6:
Mon - 5
Tues - 4.5
Sat - 10

8/13:
repeat previous week / catch - up

8/20:
Mon - 5
Tues - 5
Sat - 10

8/27:
Mon - 6
Tues - 5
Sat - 12

9/3:
Mon - 6
Tues - 5
Sat - 8

9/10:
Mon - 4
Thurs - 3
Fri - 2-3
Sun - RACE!!!

I have my schedule in an easy to read excel doc posted on my refrigerator but wasn't able to get that format imported into the blog.  Hopefully you can follow the plan ok.

Let me know if you'd like to join me on 9/16!!  :)  I ran this race last year and starting at mile 3, it is a slight downhill all the way to the finish line so it's a fairly "easy" course.

No comments: