Thursday, December 6, 2012

Here's a few workouts for you

I know I probably have more important things to blog about right now but I have a shoulder, bi's/tri's, & leg/glute workout that I'm loving right now so wanted to share.  Maybe this weekend I'll get pictures of my trip to the Philippines & our Mediterranean cruise posted.

All these workouts leave me completely pooped by the end of the 45 minutes.  I've added the weights that I use...maybe in the future, I'll be able to look back to this post and see my progress.  All are 3 sets of 8-12 reps...my rule is if I can get to 10-12 reps easily, I need to increase the weight.

I pretty much created these workouts myself based on what I've learned over the last year or so...Jamie Eason's Livefit trainer(found on bodybuilding.com) & www.littlebshealthyhabits.com are two resources I use often to get ideas.

Shoulders:
Seated Shoulder Press : 20 lb dumbbells
Arnold Press: 17.5 lbs dumbbells(so glad my gym has the "in between" db weights)
Super Set: alternate front raises to lat raises - 8-10 reps for each move with 8 lb dumbbells
Super Set:
- seated bent over lat raises(not sure if that's what it's called) w/ 8 lbs db's
- move directly into a set of plate pushes (hold a plate at your chest and push out while squeezing shoulders.)  I've been using a 10 lb plate but need to increase it.

I do abs on my shoulder day and usually incorporate abs in between my shoulder exercises.

Arms:
Preacher Curl: I use the bar which is 25 lbs but I may increase to 30 tomorrow!!
Triple Set: (this is killer which is why my weights look wimpy!)
-Alternating DB curls w/ 12 lb db's
-Barbell curls - I use the 20 lb barbell but need to work to increase it
-Hammer curls with rope - 20 lbs on machine
Overhead Cable Curl w/ 20 lbs on each arm(Mike spots me on this one to make sure I get all the reps)
Tricep Rope Extension pushdown - 40 lbs
Overhead triceps extension(I've been using a db but you could use the rope on a machine too) - 17.5 lbs
Bench tricep dips to failure(I've been reading some controversial info on doing dips but I like them)

Legs w/ glute focus:
Barbell Squat: I got to 90 lbs today!!  My goal is 100 by the end of the year. (Mike always spots on this if I go heavier)
Straight Leg Deadlift w/ barbell- 65 lbs (I need to increase this but need to use lifting straps)
Leg Press - I'm not sure what the machine weighs but I put 140 lbs in plates on the machine
Hack Squat - 70 lbs(I'm so pooped by this point but I know I need to increase)
Glute Machine(not the seated/lying leg curl or adductor/abductor machines but another machine that focuses on glutes)- 35 lbs(wimpy I know...need to increase this one as well)

Yes, I train my back & chest but am never happy about it.  I just do it because I know I have to.  I also do another leg day but with different exercises.

I'm going to stick with this through the end of the year and then I'll change it up.  Hope it's helpful to someone out there or gives you some ideas for your own workout.

No comments: