Friday, January 3, 2014

counting my blessings

I do not really have any new years resolutions this year but one thing I would like to do is to take more time to appreciate and think about the blessings in my life.  You can read a little more on my thoughts on annual goals here.
Let’s be honest – I have a pretty simple and relatively easy life.  I know numerous individuals and families that are struggling with things I can’t even fathom…cancer, baby born 3 months before due date, friends/family in hospital, etc.  Honestly, I just really have no concept of struggle in my life…I’m married to a fab guy and have three entertaining pups.  I’m healthy(aside from a current self diagnosis of sciatica…and it kills! I’m giving it until Monday & then I’m going to the doctor) & so is my husband.  It only makes sense for me to take a ‘time out’ and reflect on the blessings in my life.  Let’s get started:(in no particular order)

  • Like I said above, I’m married to a pretty fab guy.  More recently, I’ve come to appreciate the times we laugh together.  Maybe one of us cracks a joke, maybe we’re making fun of Stuart, maybe we’re watching a funny show, maybe we’re teasing each other – the times we laugh together give me much pleasure and I’m thankful that laughing happens multiple times in our household.
  • I have a job…and a job I enjoy and that has afforded me numerous opportunities.  Some do not have a job, some do not have enough money to support themselves, some barely get by paycheck to paycheck.  I want to kick myself when I look back on the times I haven’t appreciated my job.
  • I’ve had the opportunity to travel all over the world.  For 2013, we have a Caribbean cruise planned,(Mike is officially addicted to cruising) a trip to Steamboat Springs planned, & a trip to St. Martin in the works.  I get to make amazing memories, meet people from all cultures, & enjoy the time with my husband and travel partners.
  • I’m grateful that a friend Nikki told me about meetup.com.  With the move to Maryland and then New Mexico , I’ve used meetup.com to make new friends.  It’s not exactly easy to make new friends as an adult, in my opinion.
  • Starbucks – I know some of you probably cringe at this but I love Starbucks.  To me, it’s like happiness in a cup! 
  • Yards that have no grass – although, I secretly loved my huge yard in Nebraska , it’s nice to have a ‘rock’ yard here in NM.  Aside from picking up dog poo and pulling a few weeds, it’s such a low maintenance yard.  I have no desire to mow a lawn again.
  • My 3 love bugs – Ranger is always with Mike but I’m so thankful that I have Boulevard and Stuart.  When Mike travels for work, I get pretty sad and lonely and it’s so great to have my pup companions.  If it was just me in this house, I’d go bonkers I think.  I’m thankful that Ranger is always with Mike at work and I trust that Ranger would protect and fight to the death for my husband.


That’s my first list of blessings that I wanted to reflect on.  I’ll be back periodically to appreciate & reflect on the wonderful things in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a great 2014 & stay healthy!
*cheers*