Saturday, February 7, 2009

auto show and stolen car

I took the day off yesterday and we went to the D.C Auto Show...a huge convention center FULL of cars of all different makes and models. The first thing I notice - all the cool cars. The second thing I notice - that there are gorgeous women(in black dresses and stiletto heels) speaking about and trying to sell these cars. The third thing I notice - that the majority of auto show attendees are male. Light bulb goes on...too funny...so they have hot women talking about cars that men typically care about the most?! Unbelievable marketing strategy! Then we even read in the Washington Post an article where they discuss the women so I'm not the only one that noticed. :)
The car show was pretty cool actually. I've never heard "I would love to have this" out of Mike's mouth so many times. AND I never knew that he had such a plethora of auto knowledge.

Well we had some drama last night in our apartment parking lot about 100 feet away from our front door. Yasser(our friend that we were going out with last night) was picking us up and we were walking to the parking lot. Mike, of course, saw the police lights first. I said, "What's happening?"...like Mike is supposed to know more than I do at this point. We get closer and see that it is an un-marked police car right behind a parked car and he is asking us where he is. Like typical cops, Yasser and Mike head over to talk to the police officer as I jump in the truck ready to lock the doors at any moment, hop in the driver's seat and run someone over if needed. :) But I did not need to do this. So, Yasser comes over and let's me know that Mike and him are going to stick around until the officer gets his back-up. He tells me that the car the officer is parked behind is stolen. Finally the officer's back-up arrives(4 additional police cruisers I believe) and a police dog. One at a time, the four people in the stolen car get out of the car and walk back-wards toward the police car, get hand-cuffed, patted down, and put in a police car...this all happening as the police dog(pretty sure it was a shephard) was barking his brains out right behind them as they get out of the car. I'd be scared too, not to mention the 5 guns that are readily available to be used from each of the officers. Mike and Yasser finally came back to truck and we left to enjoy our evening out.
To ease all your concerned minds...the good news here is that it was completely random that this car ended up in our parking lot. The people had no connection to our apartment complex. Furthermore, I think it's probably a good sign that the officer didn't know where he was...that means he doesn't come here often, if ever.
Thank heavens for law enforcement!

No comments: